Sunday, December 17, 2006

JFK to PHX

Okay. Wow. I've had massages at the Bangkok airport, walked out straight onto the landing strip in Koh Samui, gotten lost in the airport of my own hometown, Atlanta... but this... this is really something... I'm at JFK in the JetBlue terminal (yes, they have the entire terminal) and there is a jazz quartet playing behind me. Saxophone, upright Bass, Acoustic Guitar, and Drums. Hints of Christmas songs float in and out of jazz compositions and suddenly the brake-lit ride to the airport, the hassling TSA screeners and the anticipation of what I need to get accomplished on this trip flutter away with them... thank you jetblue... i'm completely ready to go sit on my leather seat and pick a movie to watch on my in-flight television screen.

if only.

I'm off to Arizona to research documentation of a 1978 prison break that happened out of the Arizona State Prison, an event that is the starting point of a documentary I will be working on throughout 2007. Most of the records are physically located in Arizona, and I'll be digging through them to find out what actually happened, what was recorded as happening and then driving out to see where it happened. Much of this is in preparation for meeting of a key person in the investigation, whom I will be interviewing in a few weeks. I need to understand in the ins-and-outs of the prison break itself as well as the events that led up to it and the consequenting trials and investigations. A lot of ground to cover in four days.

right now, though, this john vitale quartet is the perfect calm.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I got more sleep than I expected... mainly because I had to dose myself due to the cats that lived in the house. Instant stuffy nose and sore throat. Small price to pay for a solid weekend of work!