Friday, January 05, 2007

Some new, some old... Bangers revisited

After over 20 hours in the air and multiple almost-missed connections, it's good to have my feet back on the ground. We landed at Bangkok's new International Airport, which just opened two months ago and is absolutely stunning.

It actually reminds me a lot of Hong Kong's airport as far as the immigration floorplan and the glass-steel (is it steel or aluminum? I'd check but I'm only getting thai google) architecture. Say "sawadeeka" to the BMW that takes us to the airport and a few minutes later, I've moved into my home for the next five days: Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. It's a favorite from my Hong Kong days when James and I would take quick weekend romps here. Still a beautiful and accomodating hotel. My room looks something like:

We are exactly 12 hours ahead of New York, so it's almost 3am here and I'm wide awake. Figure I'll go through a couple of notes and read myself to sleep in preparation for tomorrow when we meet the lead investigator in the 1978 massacre... a time and a place that is eras away from the view out my window on the 24th floor. Just hoping that the recent violence here doesn't make me feel too close to the story I'm trying to tell...

No comments: