Friday, July 28, 2006

NYPL

I wish I had found this room weeks ago. There exist collections of books. There exist small buildings that small children trudge toward, the weight of a book report on their shoulders. There exist comfortable internet cafes and majestic courtrooms. And then there is the magnificent New York Public Library. Architecturally stunning, housing over 6 million books and free public internet access, this structure is a combination of every kind of “library” that exists.


I am sitting in the Reading Room… At one of the many twenty-foot long wooden tables illuminated by rows of golden lamps, I find space to think. And an outlet nearby that will let me type for hours. Gentle coughs and quietly squeaking chairs echo upward into the ceiling of this palace of imagination. Notably, the ceiling is not just a roof- even it is painted with images of clouds amidst blue skies. Even it does not dare to contain the thoughts in this hall.

No comments: