Saturday, May 26, 2007

On Board

Feels good to be back in the city... so good that rather than jet out to the Hamptons for Memorial Day weekend, I'm going to stay. right. here.

Went to a surprise party for a friend of mine here who is has just turned 30. Another night, another party?... everything has the potential to be just Another in a Long Line. And how many times do we let that happen rather than... Enjoying marking the milestones. Looking around the curve ahead of us to see where the road leads. I find myself reflecting more - the telltale sign of old age - what you do, when you can't DO.

And I literally can't. There's no 4am finishes or all-nighters with a baby on board. I'm not out tearing it up. And I sleep for 8 hours a night. And I eat three healthy meals a day. And I willingly do all those things that people have been trying to get me to do for years... without anyone succeeding.

Life on Board.

Which reminds me, it's Fleet Week here in New York City. An annual event where white uniforms and googly-eyed boys flood the streets by the thousands and bring dozens of military demonstrations, park gatherings, memorial services, and on-board exhibitions. Will have to go see some of these boys in action - if I don't sneak off to the beach anyway!

No comments: