Monday, June 04, 2007

A New View on June

It's June... the month where we all look at the calendar and say "what happened to the last five months / am I really halfway through the year already?!?" And if you're anything like me, it's always followed by "what have i gotten accomplished so far this year?"

This year, The List is very different from last. Business developments have been hijacked by baby developments. The known traded in for the unknown. The self gave way to the self-less (well, almost). It is a very different approach to life: replacing my checklists with compromises. And allowing myself to be okay with "trying to figure things out" rather than "get it f*&%ing done". It's a luxury that's been generously given to me, and that I struggle with on most days... our goals, our achievements, our actions define us - not only to ourselves but to the society surrounding us. A List creates an Outline, an Answer to that question "what have I done?" And somehow, if your List hasn't overwhelmed your friends or competitors or bank account then you're just not doing enough. You're not worth enough.

How do you define Self Worth? How do you redefine Self Worth when you've spent your entire life perfecting the answer to that question? Would you be able to take everything you are and everything you want and try a different approach to life? Would you be able to look at un-accomplishments and find something worth more?

2 comments:

AlphaChick said...

Even un-accomplishments count as life experience. That in itself is an accomplishment ... isn't it?

Stephanie said...

Indeed! Along the lines of: by not making a choice, you are choosing. But I don't know if I'd call "defaulting" an accomplishment...?