Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Universal Donor

Apparently in Japan, it's a popular belief that one's blood type is predictive of their personality type as well as their relationship compatibility. Obviously it's as scientific as astrology but how much would I love that the next time I'm at a bar to hear "Hey baby, what's your blood type?" whispered in my ear rather than "So. What's your sign?"

TYPE A
Gentle, creative, sensitive.
Earnest, fastidious.
TYPE B
Wild, a doer, cheerful.
Selfish, irresponsible.
TYPE AB
Cool, controlled, rational.
Aloof, critical, indecisive.
TYPE O
Agreeable, sociable, an optimist.
Vain, careless.

This seems to be the exact opposite of how your blood can be used in transfusions...
From the Red Cross, if your blood type is:

Type You Can Give Blood To You Can Receive Blood From
A+ A+ AB+ A+ A- O+ O-
O+ O+ A+ B+ AB+ O+ O-
B+ B+ AB+ B+ B- O+ O-
AB+ AB+ Everyone
A- A+ A- AB+ AB- A- O-
O- Everyone O-
B- B+ B- AB+ AB- B- O-
AB- AB+ AB- AB- A- B- O-


I am Type O.
I am what is known as the "universal donor".
Type A, B, and AB can all take type O in an emergency.
Type positive can take type negative.
But O can only take O and negative can only take negative.
Only 6% of the world has O- blood.

And that I'm beginning to think that my blood type reflects much more about my life than just my personality...

No comments: